3 month temp booking with view to extend
We are looking for an experienced Claims Investigation Officer to comprehensively deal with all liability claims made against the Borough including, where appropriate, conducting further investigation to include site visits and interviews in line with prescribed procedures and guidance.
You will need to action and assess insurance claims in the Ministry of Justice Claims portal in line with required procedures and protocols in order to minimise the costs and liability risks to the Borough.
You will also be providing support to the Head of Financial Governance, Risk & Insurance and the Insurance & Risk Manager in undertaking the other functions of the service including identifying departmental/corporate risks to help strengthen Borough procedures.
Insurance claims handling experience within a Local Government/Public Sector Environment
Own vehicle and full valid driving licence
Relevant qualification from a recognised body such as Chartered Institute of Insurance or similar equivalent
Duties will include:
- Processing third party legal liability claims against the Borough
- Thoroughly investigate each claim, visiting sites, meeting and corresponding with claimants and their legal representatives.
- Ensure that claims are adequately investigated and prompt responses issued to claimants and third parties within the terms of the Ministry of Justice Pre-Action Protocol for Personal Injury Claims.
- Update and maintain the Borough’s database of insurance claims inputting new claims and extracting data relating to insurance administration if requested.
- Ensure adequate financial reserves are calculated and maintained at an appropriate level for insurance provision, reviewing claims on a regular basis and adjusting the reserves as necessary
- Process insurance claims submitted from Schools covered by the Borough’s locally managed schools scheme for fire damage and other property losses
- Maintain a variety of records and extract information as required including records relating to the insurance aspects of Right to Buy/Leasehold properties ensuring that accurate premium information is provided for recharging purposes and that Leaseholders receive their annual renewal statement.
- Use relevant case law to assess liability, identify the best course of action and to negotiate settlements in the best interests of the Borough and in accordance with guidelines inclusive of legal costs subject to the agreement of the Insurance & Risk Manager.
- Where settlements with claimants who are not legally represented cannot be reached, or it is inappropriate to do so, to prepare case papers and, to represent the Borough in the Small Claims Court.
- Attending other Court hearings
- To instruct external experts to support the handling of a claim such as solicitors, loss adjusters, insurers or other experts and liaise or supervise the external experts throughout the conduct of the claim.
- To direct and oversee the work of and supervise any temporarily assigned staff.
- To deputise for the Insurance & Risk Manager on matters relating to claims and insurance at a range of meetings as required.
- To be aware of when a change in policies, procedures, legislation, or claims assessing highlights new risks or fraud trends that might lead to an alteration of the risk profile of the Borough affecting the nature of or levels of claims and to make recommendations
- Assisting with responses to Members’ enquiries, providing statistics and information and attendance at committee or other Member meetings if required to explain or discuss claims investigation findings, particularly in relation to cases that are complex or high profile.
- Producing reports and maintaining correspondence on the findings and evidence of claims work, including formal statements which could lead to prosecution/court action being taken if the insurance claim is found to be suspect.
- To deal with enquiries relating to the Council’s Right to Buy Buildings Insurance Policy and the Council’s Tenants Home Contents Insurance Scheme.
The successful candidate must have:
- An understanding of the latest issues and legislation relevant to Insurance claims handling in a local government environment.
- Knowledge and ability to process third party legal liability claims including site visits.
- Ability to conduct interviews with members of the public or Borough employees.
- Ability to present evidence at hearings, courts or other forum.
- Ability to provide practical and effective solutions and use relevant case law to be able to influence and negotiate successful outcomes and settlements in the best interests of the Borough.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the latest issues in local government finance, with particular regard to professional and legislative developments in the fields of local government insurance and risk management.
- Ability to action and assess insurance claims in the Ministry of Justice Claims Portal in line with prescribed procedures.
<< Previous Next >>
<< Go back to list