Temp booking for 3 months with view to extend
We are looking for an experienced Senior HR Advisor who has Children Services experience and experience dealing with sensitive data.
MUST HAVE LOCAL AUTHORITY EXPERIENCE
Duties will include:
- Coaching, advising and supporting line managers in delivering the appropriate responses to a full range of human resources and change assignments
- To manage and be responsible for employee relation case workloads, including being able to conduct complex casework investigations and present at hearings
- To undertake various HR projects that will add value through delivery of business objectives at a departmental or pan council level
- Participating in the design, development and roll-out of corporate learning and development initiatives as appropriate.
- Support the development of a positive employee relations framework within the council
- Provide high quality, professional advisory services to the allocated department on all aspects of Human Resources
- Provide credible advice to managers on application of the council’s employment practices, pay and conditions of service (local and national), and on the legal and best practice implications of employment issues supporting and, as appropriate, undertaking casework on a wide range of human resources issues, including discipline, capability, absence, grievance and appeals within the required timescales from inception to conclusion
- Maintaining a high level of client focus and professionalism throughout the life of a case
- Challenging managers to address and modernise work practices to reorganise and remodel the workforce, to ensure the service will meet its strategic objectives and legal obligations
- Building successful partnership working with the trade unions on individual and collective matters
- Establishing productive and proactive dialogue with employees and their representatives to develop services, facilitate change, resolve conflict and promote a positive working environment
- Advising managers on specific recruitment and retention initiatives to attract and retain skilled employees in ‘shortage’ posts Liaison with the Occupational Health provider and Health & Safety on employee health and welfare issues Lead on resolving complex ER issues, both individual and collective, and have the ability to influence the management approach.
- Ensure casework advice logs are filled in accurately and all other casework correspondence and information is correctly documented in a timely manner for further analysis.
- The production of analytical reports highlighting trends and patterns in casework; and proposing solutions that demonstrate a deep understanding of the business and its challenges to the HR Manager.
- Closure of casework to include retrospective reviews with learning with the relevant business unit.
- Casework documentation on closure of the case is to be retained securely in accordance with the council’s retention periods.
- Participate in the collation of management information including processing the staff survey to inform human resources service developments.
- Make recommendations for changes to service delivery and development of new initiatives based on trend analysis and experience.
- Take a lead role in the development of the council’s employment policies and procedures as well as set up a systematic process to review ER policies and practices at regular intervals.
- Use this process to provide an opportunity to engage key stakeholders in the business in respect of changes in employment law or relevant case law that may have a bearing on the council’s operations.
- Carry out regular employee relations training needs analysis to identify gaps and develop solutions to build knowledge, capability and understanding of managers around people management to ensure compliance HR policies and procedures i.e. able to lead discussions on employee relations current affairs with groups of line managers, co-ordinate a training plan for the investigator pool, develop a forum for internal mediators to share their learning, ensure the development of a trained administrative network for servicing minutes at investigation meetings/hearings.
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of continuous learning and development strategies to improve the quality of the council’s workforce and to respond to organisational change.
- A deep understanding of the organisation’s strategic, commercial and political environment in the context of forward business planning to inform and develop the ER framework strategy and initiatives.
- Keep abreast of Human Resources best practice, legislative changes and new developments to continuously develop and improve knowledge and skills and broaden the understanding of inter-relationships between the range of human resources activities and functions.
- Work collaboratively on corporate human resources projects as required.
- Provide employee and industrial relations advice for escalated queries from the AskHR or HR Enquiry Line Service.
- Identify where there maybe improvements to HR work processes and how the service can be improved.
- Supporting trade union consultations and negotiations in respect of change management, TUPE acquisitions / disposals, and amendments to terms and conditions of service.
- Lead and manage council wide multi-disciplinary project teams including supervising individual roles and contributions and co-ordinating outcomes using project management programme tools.
- Conduct research and produce and submit employment law articles in conjunction with Legal Services for in house communications.
- Pre-tribunal case preparation as directed by the HR Managers working with ACAS and legal representatives. This includes but is not limited to drafting ET3 responses, drafting witness statements, witness liaison, compiling trial bundles in conjunction with Legal Services.
The successful Senior HR Advisor will have:
- Local Authority experience
- HR experience
- Children Services experience
- Knowledge and understanding of key human resources processes such as payroll and pensions, human resources information systems and recruitment
- Experience of providing advice and guidance on TUPE matters and contractual variations
- Experience of attending and managing employee tribunals working with ACAS and legal representatives
- Ability to research topics to prepare briefings / presentations and in-house communications to both HR and non-HR audiences.
- Good communication skills Good IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
We are interviewing for this position now
<< Previous Next >>
<< Go back to list